(FixThisNation.com) – Organizers looking to have New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell ousted from office have said that they have collected enough signatures to potentially stop Cantrell from serving a second term.
Eileen Carter, vice chair of the No LaToya recall campaign has stated that currently the New Orleans mayor did not “love” the city which is why the residents were taking action to “save New Orleans.”
The campaign’s chairman, Belden Batiste, along with Carter first launched the efforts to oust Cantrell from office in August 2022. At part of their efforts the organizers created a petition with signatures which was given to the Orleans Parish Registrar of Voters office on Wednesday. They needed to have collected 50,000 signatures by the Feb. 22 deadline. This was something that the organizers not only achieved, but also exceeded.
Batiste told Fox News that this was not personal and it only had to do with the fact that Cantrell had not done her job and thus, she needed to be removed from office. Carter had been working in the social media department for the mayor’s office for three years. She told Fox News that it had been hard watching Cantrell “quiet quit” during her second term in office. She added that previously the mayor’s public calendar consisted of regular meetings but in the past year she had not met with any department heads.
On Feb. 19 during a Mardi Gras parade, Cantrell was caught on camera flipping off participants of the campaign. The mayor’s communications director, Gregory Joseph, had tried to claim that the gesture was meant to be playful.
Copyright 2023, FixThisNation.com