(FixThisNation.com) – On Tuesday, House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., defended his decision to have thousands of hours of security video footage from the Jan. 6 insurrection exclusively released to Fox News host Tucker Carlson.
McCarthy told reporters that he was following the precedent set by the House select Jan. 6 committee which often gave exclusive access to news networks first before more widely releasing videos later. He added that this is why Carlson will first be given the exclusive before the footage is released to “the entire country.”
When McCarthy was asked about when other outlets and the public would be given access to the footage, McCarthy said “as soon as possible.” This statement comes after a group of news organizations, including NBC News, MSNBC, and CNBC, have pushed for McCarthy to provide them with access to the security footage as well.
Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer of New York is one of the Democrats to have heavily criticized McCarthy’s decision to have the footage released claiming that the it could pose “grave security risks” for the Capitol staff and complex.
However, on Tuesday McCarthy claimed that they would be collaborating with the Capitol Police to ensure that there were no risks associated with the release of the footage. He then proceeded to blast the Jan. 6 committee for having previously aired a video that showcased the exit route that McCarthy had taken on the day of the attack. McCarthy noted that when asked about it the Capitol Police stated that they had not been consulted before the release of that video by the committee.
Copyright 2023, FixThisNation.com